Level 4 Academic Writing Workshops
All the optional workshops last for two hours and are repeat workshops, so you only need to book on one of the workshops offered. They take place in College Lane and are facilitated by Valerie Brossier or Pat Wood.
They cover the following: Answering the question; Structure and clarity; writing good descriptions, discussions and reflections; integration of relevant and appropriate evidence; citing and referencing.
Understanding and answering the question + Planning and structuring your assignment:
- Deconstructing essay titles
- Working closely with the assignment brief and remaining focused
- Working with the learning outcomes and marking criteria
- Planning and structuring your assignment; Writing effective introductions
- Reading effectively and making notes
- Developing an effective argument and effective paragraphs (PEEEL)
- Flow and signposting
Improving your academic writing style, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence construction:
- Features of academic writing style, including effective integration of your reading in your writing + accurate referencing
- Paraphrasing and summarising
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Writing clear, well-crafted and effective sentences
Handouts to take with you
Please download the handouts for this workshop:
To access the booking form you’ll need to log in to your UH Microsoft Office 365 account with your UH username (e.g. email@example.com) and password.
If you book a place on a workshop, you commit yourself to attending. If you know that you cannot attend, please email the SSAS team (firstname.lastname@example.org). This will allow another student to book a place. Thank you!
If you cannot attend a workshop, please look at the handouts as they will help you with aspects of academic reading and writing.